Monday, June 04, 2007

Done With Restaurants

Two days ago was my last day at my latest restaurant job. After getting fired from GD, and getting hired at another restaurant where I have worked with one of the managers before, I promised myself that this was going to my last restaurant. I put two years of my life into GD and they fired me for something as silly as missing a meeting, I wasn't going to put a whole lot of time and energy into another job that had the potential to do the same thing to me.

I like to compare working in a restaurant to being in an abusive relationship (either friendship or romantic). It has far more bad moments than good, though the good prove slightly that might be worth hanging onto, you don't leave because it's easier to stay, it's more comfortable than the unknown and less scary, you stay in it so long it is all you know anymore, you don't think you could get a better alternative if you tried, makes you feel guilty about leaving, but once you do break free, it's the best feeling in the world!

I knew that my most recent restaurant was going to be my last. I was tired of dealing with customers and employee drama long into my job at GD, so I knew I wasn't going to be very happy at this restaurant. But it was so easy to get hired at another restaurant. Restaurants will hire anyone and everyone, especially if they have lots of other restaurant experience. It's quick and easy cash, relatively, so why work hard to try and get a job where there is a chance they might not hire you when you basically have a guaranteed job that you already know how to do.

For me, restaurants are my comfort zone. I know how to do those jobs already, I don't really need to learn anything new, it's easy and convenient, and it's an evil I'm completely familiar with. Most people would rather have a known evil to an unknown one, and I'm no exception (to a certain point). Since this blog has been about working in restaurant, and as I am no longer a restaurant employee (it took five years, but I'm finally out), I conclude my blog with this final entry. But, when one door closes, another opens. I have started a new blog about summer camp and life after restaurants.

http://aintgonnarain.blogspot.com

Good night, and good luck. :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patience is a Virtue and you have it!
Employee Complaint Letter

Unknown said...

Hi there! great stuff, Thanks for sharing a very interesting and informative content, it helps me a lot, keep it up!
The private dining room at Justine’s Table gives you and your guests the best dining experience around. Formal, elegant and welcoming, our private dining makes you feel at home, while also providing great atmosphere for a wonderful night out.

best restaurant natick ma

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this post...Its nice to know about the restaurant news and the gripes of a restaurant employee...

Anonymous said...

A great job you have already done. I’m really delighted to see your amazing work.
outback coupons

Unknown said...

Excellent overview, it pointed me out something I didn’t realize before. I should encourage for your wonderful work on restaurant employee onboarding. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. Thank you for sharing this information with us.

Unknown said...

I feel you on this one. I worked at a restaurant in Oshawa and it was rough having a fast food job. You really covered all the points of the food industry. Great article.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this post employee onboarding

Naum Franpos said...


Wow very entertaining post. Ive notice that there are many Cheap 1300 Numbers that giving to a business to give them many clients. Most busineses are using smart numbers to easily remember by their clients most especially on restuarant and food businesses.

Unknown said...

I got inspiration from reading your blog, a thumbs up from you new follower.

vehicle wraps florida

Credit Loan Solution said...


My name is Leah Brown, I'm a happy woman today? I told myself that any loan lender that could change my life and that of my family after having been scammed separately by these online loan lenders, I will refer to anyone who is looking for loan for them. It gave me and my family happiness, although at first I had a hard time trusting him because of my experiences with past loan lenders, I needed a loan of $300,000.00 to start my life everywhere as single mother with 2 children, I met this honest and God fearing online loan lender Gain Credit Loan who helped me with a $300,000.00 loan, working with a loan company Good reputation. If you are in need of a loan and you are 100% sure of paying the loan please contact (gaincreditloan1@gmail.com)

boss2021sblog said...

It seems that you are maintaining a steady blogging pace. Well done! Looking for more updates from your end. If you need a staff for hire, inbox me